Exalted: Modern Nights
Exalt Character Creation
These are alterations of the original 2e character generation rules in order to bring down the power levels and reflect the changes to the setting. If something isn’t listed, it is assumed that you should use the information from the Exalted: Second Edition core book. Thus far I’ve only come up with Solar and Lunar character creation rules.
- Attributes: 7/5/3
- Abilities: 22, at least 10 must be caste or favored, none higher than 3 without bp
- Virtues: 5, none higher than 3 without bp
- Backgrounds: 7, none higher than 3 without bp
- Willpower: Highest + lowest Virtue, cannot be higher than 7 at starting
- Charms: 10, at least 5 must be from caste or favored
- Essence: 2, may not be higher than 3 at starting.
- Bonus points: 15
- Merits and Flaws: max of 10 points each, must be approved.
- Personal pool: Essence + Willpower + Highest Virtue
- Solar Peripheral pool: Essence x 6 + Willpower x 2 + Highest Virtue
- Lunar Peripheral pool: Ess x 4 + Willpower x 2 + Highest Virtue x 2
All static values now round down, regardless.
All Lunars are Casteless. Lunars now only roll to gain mutations if they shapeshift in the presence of starstuff, moonsilver, or other material or energies inherently in tune with the Wyld. The roll is made as normal and the mutation pool accumulates and fades as normal. The Taboo Background may affect this as normal.
- Sorcery and Necromancy are not currently available. Thaumaturgy is still available.
- Solars may have three Favored Abilities, Lunars may have two (including Survival).
- There is now a Craft: Metal sub-Ability which covers modern technological devices and design principles.
- The Sail Ability is now called Drive and is used for piloting craft that can transport more than two people.
- Ride is used to ride animals and to pilot smaller craft.
- Archery is used to fire projectiles that do not rely on the strength of the user to determine damage. This includes guns, bows, ballistae and crossbows.
- The Bureaucracy Ability is now called Politics.
- There are no known manses except the mountain manse humanity was rescued in. There are demesnes but none higher than level 3.
- You may not start with Artifacts that are not given to you without special permission.
Allies – As in Exalted 2e Backing – Borrowed from Vampire: the Masquerade (revised edition) o Your character is a lower officer or minor functionary oo Your character is a mid-level officer, the head of a small department or some similarly intermediate position. ooo Your character is moderately powerful and has many people working under her oooo Your character is extremely powerful and typically is only one or two rungs down from the people in charge of her organization. ooooo Your character is one of the leaders of her organization, a general or admiral, a CEO, a cardinal or bishop, etc.
Contacts – As in Exalted 2e Cult – As in Exalted 2e Familiar – As in Exalted 2e Followers – As in Exalted 2e Heart’s Blood – As in Exalted: the Lunars 2e Mentor – As in Exalted 2e Reputation – As in Exalted: the Dragon Blooded 2e Resources – Borrowed from Vampire: the Masquerade (revised edition) o Small savings: a small apartment and maybe a motorcycle. If liquidated, you would have about $1,000 in cash. Allowance of $500 a month oo Middle class: an apartment or condominium. If liquidated, you would have at least $8,000 in cash. Allowance of $1200 a month ooo Large savings: a homeowner or someone with some equity. If liquidated, you would have at least $50,000 in cash. Allowance of $3000 a month oooo Well-off: a member of the upper class. You own a very large house, or perhaps a dilapidated mansion. If liquidated, you would have at least $500,000 in cash. Allowance of $9000 a month ooooo Ridiculously affluent: a multimillionaire. Your home is limited by little save your imagination. If liquidated, your would have at least $5 million in cash. Allowance of $30,000 a month.
Retainers – As in Exalted 2e +Solar Bond – As in Exalted: the Lunars 2e Taboo – As in Exalted: the Lunars 2e
+Solar Bond will only be available if you and another player decide to have that connection between your characters. If the group should figure out how to bring back more solars, you have about a 1 in 200 to 300 shot of it being your Solar mate.
All unlisted Backgrounds are unavailable
Bonus Point Costs
- Attribute – 4 bp per dot
- Ability – 2 bp or 1 bp per dot for favored
- Charm – 7 bp or 5 bp per dot for favored
- Background – 1 bp or 2 bp per dot above 3
- Virtue – 3 bp
- Willpower – 2 bp
- Specialty – 1 bp per dot
- Intimacies – 3 bp to increase starting Intimacies to WP + Compassion
- Essence – 9 bp For Lunars:
- Charm – 9 bp or 6 bp for favored
- Knack – 7 bp
- Essence – 12
Experience Point Costs
- New Ability – 3 xp
- Charm – 12 xp or 10 xp for favored
- Attribute – current rating x 4
- Ability – current rating x 2 (-1 if favored)
- Virtue – current rating x 3
- Willpower – current rating x 2
- Essence – current rating x 9
- Specialty – 3 xp For Lunars:
- Charm – 14 xp or 12 xp for favored
- Knack – 13 xp
- Attribute – current rating x 4 or x 3 if favored
- Essence – current rating x 10